From I Love Cooking comes this great cheesy cottage pie recipe.
- 30 ml canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 425 g can chopped tomato
- 1 kg frozen mixed vegetables
- sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 packets creamy-garlic sauce powder
- 400 ml milk
- 250 ml mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 x 250 ml prepared and seasoned mashed potatoes
- 45 ml butter, melted
- 30 ml parsley, finely chopped
Chef’s hint: In winter, you can add some heat: add 30 ml of your favourite curry powder to the onion after its browned and then add to taste, garlic, ginger and chili. Proceed with the recipe as indicated. At other times you can use a different kind of cheese: parmesan or feta, you be the cook, you be the Boss! Enjoy!
Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion. Sauté until translucent. Add the tomatoes and vegetables. Season and bring to a boil. Cook rapidly without a lid, stirring often, until the liquids have reduced significantly.
Whisk the sauce powder into the milk and add to the vegetables. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in the cheese and pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
Spoon the mashed potatoes on top and spread evenly over the vegetables. Mix together the melted butter and parsley and drizzle over the top. Grill until the mash is lightly browned and piping hot before serving.
Serves 6 – 8