By Heidi Janit
When last did you do something nice for yourself? Hmmmmm – can you even remember?
Mom time. What exactly is that, you may ask?
Moms are so busy looking after everyone else, that very often your needs are pushed aside.
Think about it – you play driver, nurse, doctor, teacher, cook and more almost every day. You are constantly arranging, calling, dropping off, collecting, shopping for groceries,changing nappies, soothing cuts and bruises, and the list goes on and on. And some of you still work a full day too.
It is easy to remember what you did for everyone else. Isn’t it time you did something for yourself? Book a haircut? Have a manicure? Meet a friend for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine? Buy yourself a beautiful bunch of flowers?
It is vital to take some time out for yourself – and you need to do this by booking a “date” with yourself. Once a week! It is not selfish to have some time alone, you needn’t feel guilty! It is a great way to nurture your spirit and unwind too.
Date with yourself ideas:
- Meet your friend or a group of friends for coffee and cake. Aaaah – imagine drinking a whole cup of coffee while it is still hot! Tell the hubby to watch the kids this Saturday morning and make those plans.
- Book those lessons you always wanted to start – be it painting, mosaics, flower arranging, cooking classes or the gym. A weekly lesson focusing on what you love and are interested in is a great way to meet your needs. Always wanted to learn to speak French? Do it! Want to be able to make amazing pastries? sign up for a pastry course.
- Buy your favourite band’s cd and pump it in the car(when no kids are in it) or at home when you have some alone time. Music speaks to the soul and a sing along to your fav song is very therapeutic.
- Wake up half an hour before everyone else(if you can manage) and sip a cuppa with a glossy magazine in silence.
- Once a week, designate a night to pampering yourself. Soak in a hot bubble bath. Do your nails or slap on a homemade facial mask(or a bought one if you can’t be bothered to make your own)
- Chat to your girlfriends and get a “Girly night” going. Once a month get together and have dinner at a restaurant. It is a great way to unwind, chat and catch up with special friends with no interruptions.
Make a vow, it goes something like this:
I,____________________ vow to schedule time to myself every week. This can be in the form of a hobby, meeting friends, listening to music, having my hair done and anything else that will nurture my soul.
I promise not to feel guilty about it nor do my actions indicate any selfishness on my part. Signed on this day,________________ in _______________.
And there you go! Now that was not too bad, was it? Print this out and stick it up where you can see it!