By Megan Thole
Whether you are a mom of a 3 month old, 3 year old or 13 year old, it is not always possible to place the necessary focus on your own physical well being and lifestyle because of the various demands that come along with having a child. It is not always possible to include your usual workouts or classes into your day or week. However, the reality of it is that we really rely on physical health and wellness to cope with the physical and emotional daily demands of raising a child and running a home. If we are struggling with a sore back or lack of energy, fulfilling these demands becomes increasingly challenging and ultimately affects the whole family.
So below are a few tips that will assist in maintaining some sort of physical wellness during those times when you cannot get to your usual or any form of workout…
(i) Park your car a distance from the entrance to the shops, instead of looking for a parking close to the door.
(ii) Take the stairs instead of the lift or elevator
Use these opportunities to get your muscles working and heart rate up a bit. It may seem minor and insignificant, but all the minor adjustments add up.
(iii) Use quality time with your kids as a means of exercise…
- Go and join your son in kicking the soccer ball and playing cricket
- Skip and play with your daughter
- Get on the floor with your baby and do some core exercises and stretches, while you chat and play with him/her
- Jump on the trampoline; this is a great form of cardio!
- Go for a nice active walk in your neighbourhood or at the park, kids love getting out
- Encourage your kids to get on the bikes and ride, join in the ride if he/she is old enough. Or join in by walking along with them.
- Get your kids to exercise with you by doing exercises like crunches, push ups, squats and so on
- A theraband is a great piece of equipment to have at home to exercise with, you can get most muscle groups working nicely and this will help maintain and improve your strength
Something that is important to remember is that you do not have to perform a solid hour of exercise to obtain the benefits. You can do various forms of short bouts of activity throughout the day and the cumulative effect is similar to if you’d have done it all at once. You do not need to be in the gym to get a workout either, use your time with your kids wisely and allocate it as your ‘’workout time’’. This will be guilt free workout time and your kids will love it!!
Enjoy and look after your body and mind!!!